Tanks

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tanks

A forum for players of GF9's 'Tanks' table-top skirmish game.

3 posters

Accessing the old forum - still possible

Tenente
    Tenente
    Lance Corporal

Accessing the old forum - still possible Empty Accessing the old forum - still possible

Post by Tenente Tue May 22, 2018 1:31 am

Yes, you have read it correctly, there still exists a hack to get to the old forum to find info if oyu need it. I have gone to Google and typed GF9 - Tanks! and clicked upon the Forum tab... and behold, found the old forum. But don't try to log in, as soon as you do try, you get kicked out. Anyway, the link is below, should work if you need it:

http://tanks.gf9games.com/Default.aspx?tabid=89&g=forum&c=2

Cheers.
    OCDPaul
    OCDPaul
    Tanker

Accessing the old forum - still possible Empty Re: Accessing the old forum - still possible

Post by OCDPaul Tue May 22, 2018 3:27 am

I wasn't thinking and glad you shared this! I've been using bing to do the same thing, just searching for "gf9 tanks forum" and first result. Depending on the night this is the second result Very Happy
    What's funny is if you have it automatically logged in yet, you can still post there too. I've been promoting this forum over there occasionally bumping the where do we go from here post. Its a shame, because you really wouldn't think it cost them that much to run the server (which they're still paying for now, and the current main users are still the spammers) and they have control over content. Any one of the usuals could have been given mod privileges and they would have cleaned up all the spam for free.

I really didn't want to migrate away from there since I just started interacting but I really do like it here. A lot more freedom and less worries about discussing anything off topic or not of their company.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Accessing the old forum - still possible Empty Re: Accessing the old forum - still possible

Post by Admin Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks for that chaps. It does seem a little bit of a shame that there only seems to be the three of us who are particularly active.

However, so long as people are posting, I'll keep the forum going and hope that we find other link minded individuals.
    Tenente
    Tenente
    Lance Corporal

Post by Tenente Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:54 am

The greatest problem that forums will face is the changing medium of sustaining communications between people of our day. The greatest rival against face-to-face communications and forums as well is Facebook. A lot of people from my generation have got unto that "needle" if you prefer, almost like getting set upon drugs. People go to the virtual and take much less care or notice of the real world that surrounds them. Forums are a way to communicate about specific subject, get information you need, and a great place to create and get criticism and reviews upon your creations. With Facebook, one may argue that it is somewhat close, however, it limits your breadth of interests. In Facebook, as far as I understand it's mechanics (I will confess here that I don't know the full ins and outs of it, since I don't have it, simply don't have the time for it and no need), you specify your interests, and it narrows your communication down to those that you selected, and the people you talk to are limited to that specific and highly selective group - so it effectively limits you sphere of interest. But that is not all. The problem with virtual, is that if you spend too much on computers, and talking through the digital ether, you gradually loose one of the greatest skills that we humans have - talking to others just like us, the social skills are lost basically. People of today have pretty much a virtual existence, and their happiness is virtual as well - think about how terrible it is to people today to be "unfriended" in Facebook - it is even recognised as "bullying" that is to be prosecuted in primary schools of today. Also, facebook media brews people that can not think in a continuous thought - they have a clip-like logic. If they can't get a result or figure something out in 5 minutes, they will ditch it. They are good for "come-backs", but not at all good to discuss, argue and talk for long periods of time about something that interests them. Believe me, I am a university tutor for the last 4 years, I see these people a lot, and they are good at memorising, but not at thinking outside their box, and most importantly, not interested to do so. They want to get back unto SMS-ing and Facebooking as quickly as possible, since the data flow of "come-backs" has become phenomenally quick, and if you don't state something within the next 5-10 seconds, you are trailing behind, no time for critical and deep thought. And what is preposterous, is that young kids are almost forced through schools to get facebook in class (assignment in some schools are now given only through facebook, if you are not on it, you may fail, or at least be frowned upon), and more importantly without being tought of the actual and proper use of it.

However, that was me starting to step aside from the main topic, I can write a good deal of stuff enough for a research paper on the topic, but I don't see it of being of any use, no one will not so much as give a damn. It is a mass culture that caught everyone by surprise. I however am not saying that it is completely bad, no, far from it. It is a tool, just like the forums, that is being abused and over-used to the point of ridiculousness. However, the abuse of it is turning out to be much more dangerous than forums, people tend to loose contact with each other almost voluntarily. As a result, forums are falling hugely out of favour and is becoming a thing for the "dinosaurs" of our time (that is basically how it is viewed, note, it is NOT my opinion on this matter of "dinosaurs"). But more importantly, a social gathering, such as wargaming clubs, are slowly dying out People still meet, but only with those that they connect through facebook. Peopla lock themselves into their small shells and don't even as try to reach out, and sometimes even resist anyone reaching into their shells with passive resistance, some even almost scream and kick (figuratively I mean). For example, I don't see much young people in wargaming clubs or any other social clubs nowadays - and this is a worry. Young people as they say are the ones that will bear the torch into the future. I found somewhere a pessimistic view of the future of someone, saying that the future humanity will be these computer "geeks" that are "facebooked". I hope that it is not a prophecy though. Young people are however good at forming "flash-mobs" through facebook, but this is not the same thing, almost similar to the "clip-like" way of tought, fast and in a moment created, so much to in a moment fall apart, leaving nothing behind.

In short, yes, forums like these will be moved by a small group of enthusiasts, and as long as we engage in creative thoughts, historical conversations and so on and so forth, this small community may grow, or at least be sustained. Anyway, enough for my digressing here, I engage in too much talking occasionally and should shut up. This is just a snapshot of my thoughts going through my head and being though upon with regards to this social phenomena that is occurring throughout the whole world and the tendencies of which are taking quite a worrying shape indeed. Hope this raises some thoughts or discussions on the matter....
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:22 pm

Some very good points there, eloquently put.

I suppose that, at 51, I am something of a dinosaur. I still read books, I still have my vinyl records, I'm a member of a wargames club, I prefer to make my purchases in a bricks and mortar store. However, at the same time, I have, to a degree, embraced the digital age. I have as many ebooks as I do paper, I have a sizable collection of music stores on my hard drive, I will make purchases online if I cannot get them locally, I do use Facebook. I like to think of it as enjoying the best of both worlds.

Your comments regarding wargames clubswas interesting. I am a regular attendee at our local wargames club (The Forest Outlaws in Mansfield) and, for a non-profit organisation, we do make a healthy profit every year. Part of this comes from our club nights which, more often than not, bring in more money than the cost of hiring the room. True, it does tend to be the same faces every week (or fortnight in my case) but it is a healthy gathering.

What gives me more hope for the future of the hobby is the yearly Hammerhead show. The Forest Outlaws are greatly involved in organising the show as one of our members is the owner of Kallistra, the show's main sponsor. This year was the fourth time I have presented a game at Hammerhead and I see the show is still growing. Even with expanding to two building on the site of the show, the organisors are still having to turn away people wanting to puton a game and, just as important, some of the traders who want a stall there.

By definition, wargaming is a social hobby and the march of technology will, in my opinion, never take that away. Just take a look at the regular show report Kallistra put together every year.

and you will see that the show, and thus the hobby, appeals to all ages. Shows like Hammerhead provide gamers with the opportunity, not only to try new games (it is 100% participation games) but to also meet and talk with like minded individuals.

Wargaming, as a hobby, requires dedication and commitment that is largely lacking in today's disposable society. As such, I really believe that, no matter what, the wargames forum will always have a place in the hobby.
    Tenente
    Tenente
    Lance Corporal

Post by Tenente Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:42 am

I hope that your conclusion there is exactly what will continue to go forth as it is. And as I said, digital is not bad, it just must be viewed as another efficient tool - I mean, you don't sleep huddled together with a spanner do you? Well, having consistent usage of media as some "milllenials" (I think they are called) pretty much do that. What still worries me is the decrease in communication between people, but anyway, that is going well off topic for now.

P.S.

Btw, not a Dinosaur, I still predominantly read paper books over watching computer and do independent research instead of media talk, so it is just a sub-group of people that one belongs to really I think....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm