Tanks

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tanks

A forum for players of GF9's 'Tanks' table-top skirmish game.

2 posters

British Special Rule : Food for Thought

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

British Special Rule : Food for Thought Empty British Special Rule : Food for Thought

Post by Admin Mon May 14, 2018 4:38 pm

I've just come across a post on one of the Tanks pages on Facebook which caught my eye.  Rather than trying to sum up the points made, I'll just copy the actual post here and let the rest of you decide what you think.

Craig Melville - Facebook wrote:Regarding the British special rule: Semi-Indirect Fire.

I think many of us have good reason to believe that this is the worst special rule in the game, and could be considered under powered. Please note that the table below is a rough and opinionated metric for the performance of national rules, and serves merely as a talking point rather than concrete evaluation. For quickness I'll bullet point my points regarding each row in the table.

*British special rule can be used every turn, but should not since movement is an essential part of the game, especially in objective games.

*The tanks available for the British do not synergise well with the rule. It benefits high attack/defence value tanks, like Jagdpanther/ISU-122. There are no British tanks with both attack 5 and armour 2.

*The rule is infrequently used due to the importance of movement in the game and lack of benefit. Cards that offer re-rolls actively work against this special rule.

*When compared to other nations special rules, which specifically offer tactical flexibility, this rule removes it in the form of removing movement.

*The benefit of the rule, after all limitations, is keeping one extra dice in a stationary re-roll. This only marginally improves outcome of second roll, after all the difficulty using it. Other rules offer extra/less dice, which generally improve odds more significantly. It is barely different from other nations, who also get stationary re-roll, but slightly worse. Germans are more suited to stationary fire, and Russians/Italians get extra dice when doing so.

*You lose all movement defence dice when using this rule. Compared to other rules that have 0 or low amounts of risk.

British Special Rule : Food for Thought UwKGPk9

Thoughts anyone?
    OCDPaul
    OCDPaul
    Tanker

British Special Rule : Food for Thought Empty Re: British Special Rule : Food for Thought

Post by OCDPaul Sun May 20, 2018 5:01 am

I haven't played many games with the British, but never did take advantage of their trait. My only thought would perhaps be that British tanks are priced cheaper than other countries, with Semi-Indirect Fire being less expensive than Gung-Ho or Blitzkrieg? I seem to recall some discussion from last year with the 'cracking the code' that it may be the case. (while looking up things typing this, I see the US Priest and RHA one are both 12 points so this very well could not be the case anyways)

With the introduction the RHA Priest though, you could fashion a strategy with an observer tank and a mini battery of artillery hidden out of sight of the enemy.

I need to do some building, just thinking out loud, have a honey or two as observers and a blocker tank of a Churchill protecting the Priests.
    Even so, the advantage of keeping a single die on a re-roll is hardly the same as getting a free movement or lowering defense dice. I can't see GF9 changing the rules this late into the game though and any player concoction could be contentious. That said, if something was suggested that I really liked, I'm usually the gamemaster for anyone playing so house rules uber alles.

Also why I'd love to see ANZAC and Canadian allies with their own special traits along with any other Commonwealth forces. For the most part you could use the same cards and stats but avoid the Semi-Indirect Fire with something more appropriate.

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

British Special Rule : Food for Thought Empty Re: British Special Rule : Food for Thought

Post by Admin Sun May 20, 2018 11:57 pm

I personally agree that the Semi-Indirect fire rule is the weakest available. I've only really played British once and found that, as I was using Crusaders and Grants, the rule did not really come into play as it is quite risky to have a Crusader not move due to their weak armour.

All of the other rules do have some benefit but, sadly, I agree that the rule is not likely to be changed so we're stuck with it. It would certainly be interesting to see how many players:

1) Actually play the British in the game
    2) Maje use of this spcial rule

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm